Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Porcelain Berry


June 2010




This porcelain berry was considered a nuisance by it's previous owner. It was rather neglected, but grew a bit out of control before being chopped back to ground in preparation for removing the remaining stump. I was able to save it by carefully digging it up and potting it into a medium-sized flower pot in the spring of 2010. I retained a bit of clay soil around the base of the trunk as I did not want to risk damaging the few, frail remaining roots. Otherwise, I provided generous room for root growth in premium bonsai soil and kept it well watered. I let it sit in shade for a few weeks, then slowly moved it to full sun as the new growth extended top side and early leaves attained full size. I watered and fertilized normally after seeing good vigor.

August 2010



The vine grew vigorously all summer. I twisted the new vines into a swirling form I expect should integrate well with the old gnarled trunk. This required about 3 non-traditional wiring sessions over the course of the summer. Constant but moderate leaf pruning also kept the growth manageable.

Below the surface fine roots grew quickly, filling the medium-sized flower pot from the June 2010 picture. I was pleasantly surprised by the volume of roots, and therefore felt confident trimming out about 20%. This semi-repotting was also a good opportunity to remove the last remnants of heavy clay soil remaining from the original potting.

The current pot had been sitting on the shelf at Rosade's for a long time. I admired it for it's clunky square shape and heavy appearance. I acquired it specifically with this porcelain berry in mind and am glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment