Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Frankie's Ficus




You gotta love this one! I brought my girlfriend's 7 year old son to Rosade's to see if he had any interest in bonsai. He likes watching me fuss with my trees and always wants to "help" so I decided to get him a tree and see how it turns out. He picked out this tree, following some good advice from Tom DeSimone.

Well, you can't really blame a 7 yr old for having a short attention span, and so after I simply kept it watered for a few weeks it's pretty clear baseball and "silly bands" are way more important to a 7 year old than some tree in a pot!

So, I took liberty to repot it without disturbing the roots too much, and integrating a nice piece of Indonesian driftwood for effect. Now, what you're looking at is a picture taken the next day, so it still has significant development ahead of it in this configuration.

Before showing Frankie his restyled tree, I asked him to remember in his mind what it looked like before, and asked him to draw the basic shape. He drew the tree's previous shape with respectable accuracy (remember 7 years old!) and then I showed him what I had done. I guess he liked it, but this was only moments before we were leaving the house for a round of mini-golf and milkshakes, so the little whippersnapper was a bit short on analysis and critique...

No comments:

Post a Comment