Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My bonsai story...

My interest in Bonsai began many years ago when I lived in Seoul, South Korea.

I remember visiting a hotel conference center for business. While walking through the lobby of the hotel, I noticed a bonsai exhibit that caused me to slow down to view the incredible trees on display.

I thought, "That is amazing, look at these tiny trees! How do they do it?"

I conducted my business in the hotel and, once finished, I went back to the exhibit to take a longer, closer look. I was fascinated and mesmerized by these tiny trees. I found myself observing individual specimens for a long time, looking at all the tiny details. The whole thing seemed impossible to me. I mean I was laughing out loud and shaking my head at these ridiculously tiny trees! Well, I completely lost track of time and ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in that hotel lobby.

As I viewed each tree, I found myself ascribing emotional adjectives to them as individuals. This one looked happy, this one sad; this one wise and this one fanciful, etc. I was puzzled with my reaction and thought "Whoever did this took a living thing, a tree, and made it art. I cannot imagine how this was done, but nonetheless it has moved me as a painting, sculpture or music might." I was intrigued.

Years later I wound up back in the US and enrolled one of Chase Rosade's "introduction to bonsai" classes. The class was fun, informative and inspiring.

From there I cut, maimed, tortured and outright killed many wonderful species! Unfortunately, at one point my entire "collection" was wiped out from a bout of completely inexcuseable neglect on my part. I felt bad, and put bonsai away for a few years.

Over the past couple years I have come back to bonsai in earnest. I also enjoy general gardening, and have a few orchids as well. I must be doing something right because my trees seem healthy, vigorous and look better and better each year. As long as that is true I will keep doing what I'm doing, assuming "true bonsai" will eventually be the result.

I consider myself a "qualified beginner". I say this because my knowledge of bonsai as ART is still quite naive. In the meantime, I approach bonsai as a "technician" focused primarily on keeping my trees alive, healthy and vigorous. I like to learn the unique growth habit of the species I keep, and experiment with some advanced techniques from time to time. My neighbors believe I have a green thumb. I can tell you quite assuredly I do not. Rather I have something of a keenness for typing words into "Google" and reading what pops up (then remembering it when needed)! I also have LOTS of time on my hands. Time to read, learn, try, make mistakes, and try again. Time to talk, listen, discuss, ask questions, and ask for help and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment