Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ron Lang, master potter

I was privileged to meet Ron Lang this weekend at the Brandywine Bonsai Club meeting. Ron is a ceramics artist, expert, professor and wouldn't you now it, a bonsai potter. He gave a really insightful presentation to the club about what constitutes a method in terms of bonsai pot selection. Did I say that right? The point being that any bonsai enthusiast can chuck a tree in a pot...but to raise that choice to a considered and complimentary statement in harmony with the overall expression of that particular bonsai is, well...important. At least to me it is...at least to me it's something I am interested in learning about as I progress.

Ron Lang, master potter, gave a presentation on how to do that...not in terms of hard fast rules mind you...but in terms of things to consider when selecting the right pot to help us along the path towards making the statement we want to make. As with all things bonsai, there are technical considerations that influence the range of possible choices we have, yet, ultimately those choices are aesthetic. Ron covered the technical points with good detail, then demonstrated how consciously varying our choices on these technical parameters (overall size, shape, wall profile, color, texture, etc) play into the aesthetic outcomes we, and others, see.

So that was interesting...interesting enough for me to drop a few bucks on some new pots and consider Ron's pots for bonsai. It also looks like his smaller semi-cascade pots could be nice for orchids as well. I potted up an orchid in one of the pots I bought, so we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment